1. Leonardo was an Italian mathematician, considered by some researchers to be perhaps the most gifted mathematician of the Middle Ages.
2. Fibonacci is believed to have been born in or close to 1170; as the son of a wealthy merchant, Guglielmo Bonacci, Leonardo was able to travel extensively as a child.
3. While traveling with his father to a trading post in northern Africa, Leonardo first learned the Hindu-Arabic numberals.
4. He recognized the inherent ease and capabilities of the system, and saw that they were far more workable than the Roman numeral system then in use in Italy.
5. He is best known for being instrumental in bringing the Hindu and Arabic numeral systems to Europe.