I) theme - the conflict between traditional and modern values and beliefs.
A. physical setting
1. Mr Li's office overlooking the Singapore harbour
* Ah-Ma visits this office to try and see Tanjong Rhu where her children grew up.
2. A big and modern house with a swimming pool in the garden
* Mr Li presents the new binoculars to his mother in the garden.
3. Tanjong Rhu
* Mr Li's father worked in the shipyard building fishing boat.
* Ah-Wah played on the beach, went for walks with his mother and dug for crabs.
B. social setting
Modern day Singapore
* success and keeping up appearances are important
* people have little time and patience for one another
* people distance themselves from old traditions-- they adopt foreign names, have a taste for fine imported fare such as foreign fruit cake
* modern and traditional lifestyles and values clash
1. Mr T.W. Li
- also called 'Ah-Wah' by his mother and 'Edward' by his wife
- a 63 years old Singaporean bisnessman
- successful and wealthy, proud of his success
- has humble beginnings -- grew up in a little wooden hut in Tanjong Rhu.
a) ashamed of background
b) organised and logical
c) prefers the simple life
d) a filial and loving son
e) split between traditional and modern values and beliefs
- Mr Li's mother
- Ying's grandmother, 'Popo' (Cantonese for grandmother)
- mother of nine children, grandmother of thirty-four & great-grandmother of seventeen
- small, thin, with grey hair and a bent back
a) prefers the simple life
b) treasures family
e) kind & understanding
- Mr Li's daughter
- going to further her studies in New York
a) loving and caring
d) split between traditional & modern values and beliefs
THAT IS FOR NOW!! HOPE YOU COULD FIND SOMETHING HERE :)