How to prevent flooding!
1. Reservoirs can be built in the upper parts of rivers to store water.
2. Making the channel larger, deeper orwider to hold more water before it overflows.
3. Walls, banks or leveescan be built on either side of the river. They are common because they are cheap to build.
4. Flood relief channelsare artificial channels that can be built to take away surplus water and prevent flooding.
5. The course of the river is straightened, allowing the river to be free from obstructions and to flow faster.
6. A flood barrage can be built across ariver to protect the community from floods. This has happened on the River Thames, but it is expensive to do.