1. First thing is to check out the total number of inmates.
2. Prepare some cash donations, does not matter if it's big or small amounts. Just give some pocket money to the elderly. (No cash also never mind)
3. Bring some old costume jewellery i.e. bangles, wrist band, watches, necklace, rings etc for the females. You will be surprised that they still like to look pretty at their age.
4. Bring some old belts, sandals, long-sighted glasses to the males.
5. Donate your old clothing or kitchen utensils to the centre.
6. Buy daily essentials e.g.. Adult pampers, Anlene milk powder, disinfectant and more…please refer to the "LIST OF ESSENTIAL ITEMS FOR OLD FOLKS HOME" below.
7. Establish communication with them and listen to their "Golden" stories. They can repeat many times the same topic but you just got to be patient. Respond to what they have to say and share your feelings and observation.
8. Encourage the elderly in good and harmonious daily living.
9. When the atmosphere gets lightened, you can suggest helping to trim their finger or toe nails.
10. Help feed those who are bedridden with water or food (do check with the home caretakers first).
11. Prepare some snacks and bring along a birthday cake to celebrate those born in that month.
12. Invite the elderly to perform some dance or singing session, they will love to show their talents (do remember to applaud and sing your praises, regardless)
13. Say goodbye when some of them feel tired.