Making Strong Bricks And Blocks Is Easy
To ensure the strongest cement bricks /blocks, you need to use a power-packed cement like PPC Surebuild 42,5 N in the brick making process . This PPC Cement product has extra strength and yields more cement bricks than regular class 32,5 general purpose cements. With it you will achieve more for less!*
*For more details on comparative mixes, see the Affordable Housing page.
What Sort Of Site Do I Need?
When starting the brick making process , first select a site that:Is close to your customers.Is close to your supplier of PPC Surebuild 42,5 N and river sand.Is accessible for delivery trucks if necessary.Has a level surface.Is big enough to make and cure the amount of cement bricks/blocks you want to produce.
What equipment do I need?
You will need the following equipment: A good manual cement brick/block-making machine.A 65 litre builder's wheelbarrow.A spade.A sieve (this can be a strong piece of galvanised wire mesh with holes about 5mm square so the tip of your little finger can go through).A strong water bucket.Plaster sheets (such as clean dpc sheets).
What Materials Do I Need?PPC Surebuild Cement 42,5 N is ideal for small scale cement brick/block manufacture. PPC Surebuild 42,5 N complies with SANS 50197-1. PPC Surebuild Cement 42,5 N with extra strength makes more concrete than regular general purpose cements.Clean river sand.Clean water - if you can drink it, it is suitable for brick/block making.
What Mix Proportions Should I Use?
When making cement bricks , begin by determining what mix to use: Start by using Mix 2 (see image below).After 7 days test for strength.If greater strength is required, use Mix 1.
How Do I Mix Brick/Block Making Materials?Sieve out lumps, stones, twigs or foreign objects from the sand.Working with full wheelbarrows level to the top edges, lay the sand in a long, thin heap on a flat, clean, hard surface such as a metal sheet or a concrete slab.
3. Next add PPC Surebuild Cement 42,5 N with extra strength to the sand in the correct proportion (2 bags PPC Surebuild 42,5 N to every 8 or 10 wheelbarrows of sand, depending on the desired strength of the cement bricks ).
4. Mix PPC Surebuild Cement 42,5 N and sand together until uniform in colour.
5. Create a hollow in the centre and slowly add clean water while mixing.
Tips For Using Concrete In An Environmentally Responsible Manner:
• Use the recommended mix design proportions on the bag to mix the concrete.
• Use the correct strength mix to minimise waste.
• Do not add too much water – this will reduce the concrete strength.
• Mix just enough concrete (mortar or plaster) for your project.
• If you are building a house, make sure you design for optimal energy efficiency.
• Use good quality aggregates and potable water.
• Cure the concrete properly to get maximum durability.
• Do not waste water when cleaning.
• Dispose of your paper bags in a responsible manner.
• Use local raw materials - this reduces the carbon footprint of the transport component.
• Recycle building rubble where possible.