Moral Values of Dear Mr. Kilmer
• stand firm in what you believe in - Richard was friends with the Schermers despite receiving a lot of pressure to stay away from them.
• family relationships - The Knights and the Schermers care about each other and worry about each other's safety.
• the gift of friendship - Richard and Hannah supported each other when their classmates were unkind to them. Richard also received moral support and encouragement from Joyce Kilmer.
• the value of education - Pa insisted that Gus finish his high school education before joining the army. Ignorance caused discrimination, as seen in the community's misconception of Germans.
• be creative - poetry writing is a form of creative expression which brings comfort to both Richard and Joyce Kilmer.
• respect for others - some residents of Turtle Lake did not respect the Schermers simply because they were of a different ethnic background.